Place:


Hempstead  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hempstead like this:

HEMPSTEAD, a parish in Erpingham district, Norfolk; 2 miles SE of Holt, and 11½ E of Wolsingham r. station. Post town, Holt, under Thetford. Acres, 1, 756. Real property, £1, 861. Pop., 280. Houses, 63. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Hudson Gurney, Esq. There is a decoy for wild fowl. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, not reported. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. The church was built in 1744, and has a brick tower.

Hempstead through time

Hempstead is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hempstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hempstead in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4726

Date accessed: 09th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hempstead ".