Fincham  Norfolk


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fincham like this:

FINCHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Downham district, Norfolk. The village stands 5 miles E of Stow r. station, and 5 ENE of Downham-Market; consists of a long street, with several good houses; and has a post office under Downham. -The parish comprises 2, 968 acres. Real property, £6, 145. ...

- Pop., 886. Houses, 190. The property is divided among a few. An old seat here was built in the time of Edward IV., and became a farm-house. The present parish comprises two ancient ones, St. Martin and St. Michael; and the living is a conjoint one, consisting of the vicarage of St. Martin and the rectory of St. Michael, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £581.* Patron, alternately the Lord Chancellor and the Rev. W. Blyth. St. Martin's church is an ancient structure of flint and stone, with lofty square tower; has a square Norman font; and it in very good condition. St. Michael's church was taken down in 1745. There are a Methodist chapel, a partially endowed national school, and charities £95.—The sub-district contains nine parishes. Acres, 22, 849. Pop., 5, 215. Houses, 1, 104.

Fincham through time

Fincham is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fincham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fincham in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 22nd October 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fincham ".