Place:


Oulton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oulton like this:

OULTON, a parish, with a village, in Aylsham district, Norfolk; near the river Bure, 3½ miles W N W of Aylsham, and 11 E N E of Elmham r. station. Post-town, Aylsham, under Norwich. Acres, 1,849. Real property, £2,028. Pop., 357. Houses, 76. The property is divided chiefly among three. ...


Oulton Hall was the seat of the late T. Bell, Esq. Oulton Lodge is the residence of Mr. A. H. Trethewy, agent to the Marquis of Lothian. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £153. Patron, the Rev. S. Cooke. The church is good, and has a tower. An Independent chapel here was built in 1725; and has a neat residencefor its minister and a graveyard.

Oulton through time

Oulton is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oulton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oulton, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4700

Date accessed: 14th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oulton ".