Place:


South Raynham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Raynham like this:

RAINHAM (South), a parish in Walsingham district, Norfolk; on the river Wensum, 4½ miles S W of Fakenham r. station. Post-town, Rougham, under Brandon. Acres, 1,040. Real property, £2, 319. Pop., 129. Houses, 27. The property belongs to Marquis Townshend. A Cluniac priory, a cell to Castle-Acre, was founded here in 1160 by William de Lisewes. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Helhoughton, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is old.

South Raynham through time

South Raynham is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Raynham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Raynham in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4672

Date accessed: 26th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Raynham ".