Place:


Over  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Over like this:

OVER, a village and a parish in the district of St. Ives and county of Cambridge. The village stands 1 mile E of the river Ouse at the boundary with Hunts, 1¼ N N E of Swavesey r. station, and 4½ E by S of St. Ives; and has a post-office under St. Ives, a neat town hall built in 1849, and two inns. ...


The parish comprises 3, 700 acres. Real property, £9, 307. Pop. in 1851, 1, 256; in 1861, 1, 146. Houses, 236. The principal manor belongs to E. Foster, Esq.; and a smaller one, to Merton College, Oxford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £150.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is ancient and handsome; the W door has a carving of the " Virgin clothed with the sun; " the body has undergone considerable repair; the N aisle was rebuilt in 1847; the tower and spire were renovated, at a cost of £600, in 1864. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school with £20 a year, town lands yielding £366, and other charities £15.

Over through time

Over is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Over itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Over in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4624

Date accessed: 01st August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Over ".