Place:


Thornton le Moors  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thornton le Moors like this:

THORNTON-LE-MOORS, a parish, with five townships, in Great Boughton district, Cheshire; 1½ mile WNW of Dunham r. station, and 6 NNE of Chester. It contains Dunham-on-the-Hill, which has a post-office under Preston-Brook. Acres, 4,866. Real property, £8,156. Pop., 913. Houses, 158. ...


T. manor belongs to G.Legh, Esq.; and Dunham manor, to the Earl of Shrewsbury. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £600.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The parochial church is later English; and a church at Dunham was built in 1862. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £31.

Thornton le Moors through time

Thornton le Moors is now part of Chester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thornton le Moors itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thornton le Moors, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4577

Date accessed: 15th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thornton le Moors ".