Place:


Totternhoe  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Totternhoe like this:

TOTTERNHOE, a parish, with a village, in Luton district, Beds; 2 miles SW by W of Dunstable r. station. Post town, Dunstable. Acres, 2,394. Real property, £3,418. Pop. in 1851, 753; in 1861, 652. Houses, 144. The property is subdivided. T. Castle is a double-ditched ancient British camp. Straw-plait working is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £180.* Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church is later English. There are two Wesleyan chapels.

Totternhoe through time

Totternhoe is now part of South Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Totternhoe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Totternhoe in South Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4511

Date accessed: 18th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Totternhoe".