Place:


Shillington  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shillington like this:

SHILLINGTON, or Shiltington, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands 3 miles WSW of Henlow r. station, and 5¼ NW of Hitchin; and has a post-office under Hitchin. The parish contains also Pegsdon and Lower Stondon hamlets. Acres, 5,030. Real property, £8,393. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1,598; in 1861, 1,788. Houses, 365. The manor belongs to the Rev. G. Musgrave. Coprolites are largely worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £128.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is decorated and later English. There are chapels for Independents and Methodists, a large school, a library and reading room, alms houses for four widows, and other charities, £13.—The sub-district contains five parishes and a part. Acres, 12,242. Pop., 4,188. Houses, 869.

Shillington through time

Shillington is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shillington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shillington in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4508

Date accessed: 18th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shillington ".