Place:


Hyde  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hyde like this:

HYDE (EAST), a village, a hamlet, and a chapelry in Luton parish, Beds. The village stands on the verge of the county, near New Millend r. station, 3 ½ miles SE of Luton The hamlet includes the Village, and is con joint with West Hyde. Real property of East H. alone, £2, 819; of East H. ...


and West H., £6, 651. Post town, Luton. Pop. of both, 869. Houses, 148. The chapelry comprises portions of East H. and West H., with Chiltern-Green and Kinsman-Green; and was constituted in 1859. Pop., 419. Houses, 77. Lionel Ames, Esq. of Hyde, and John S. Leigh, Esq. of Luton-Hoo, are the chief landowners. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £180. * Patron, L. Ames, Esq. The church was built in 1840; and is a square edifice, with portico and two small towers.

Hyde through time

Hyde is now part of South Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hyde itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hyde in South Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4498

Date accessed: 11th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hyde ".