Place:


West Kingsdown  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Kingsdown like this:

KINGSDOWN, a parish in Dartford district, Kent; 3 miles SE of Eynesford r. station, and 7½ SSE of Dartford. It contains the chapelry of Maplescombe, the manor of Woodland, and the hamlet of Portobello; and its post town is Farningham, under Dartford. Acres, 2, 780. Real property, £2, 738. ...


Pop., 428. Houses, 88. About 80 acres are under hops. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Maplescombe, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, .£382. * Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church comprises nave and chancel, with a porch; and has some fragments of stained glass, of the 14th century.

West Kingsdown through time

West Kingsdown is now part of Sevenoaks district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sevenoaks has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Kingsdown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Kingsdown, in Sevenoaks and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4493

Date accessed: 27th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Kingsdown ".