Place:


Betteshanger  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Betteshanger like this:

BETTESHANGER, or Betshanger, a parish in Eastry district, Kent; 3½ miles SSW of Sandwich r. station, and 4 W of Deal. Post Town, Northbourne, under Deal. Acres, 397. Real property, £1,700. Pop., 43. Houses, 6. Betteshanger Park belonged formerly to the Boys family, and belongs now to Sir Walter James, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £166. Patron, Sir W.James, Bart. The church is Norman, and has been restored.

Betteshanger through time

Betteshanger is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Betteshanger itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Betteshanger, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4417

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Betteshanger ".