Place:


Ash  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ash like this:

ASH-NEXT-SANDWICH, a village and a parish in Eastry district, Kent. The village stands on a rising-ground, by the side of Wingham brook, a tributary of the Stour, 3 miles W of Sandwich r. station; and has a post office,‡ of the name of Ash, under Sandwich. The parish comprises 6,871 acres. ...


Real property, £20,467. Pop., 2,039. Houses, 438. Richborough Castle,-the Roman Rutupiæ, is on the E border, about a mile N of Sandwich. See Richborough. One of the earliest set Elements of the Saxons was in the parish; and many relics of the earliest Saxon times have been found. Hops are grown; and pale ale is extensively brewed. There are two livings, St. Nicholas and Trinity; and both are vicar ages in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £293* and £50. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. St. N. church is cruciform, early English, and very fine; is surmounted by a spired central tower, which serves as a landmark; has undergone some good recent restorations; and con tains two altar-tombs and some brasses The church of Trinity stands at Westmarsh, 2 miles distant; and there is a neat Independent chapel. A school has £90 from endowment; and other charities have £47.

Ash through time

Ash is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ash itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ash, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4410

Date accessed: 06th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ash ".