Place:


Wheathampstead  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wheathampstead like this:

WHEATHAMPSTEAD, a village and a parish in St. Albans district, Herts. The village stands on the river Lee and on the Hertford and Dunstable railway, 5 miles NNW of St. Albans; was known, at Domesday, as Watamestede; was the meeting-place of the barons, in 1312, against Edward II.; and has a post-office under St. ...


Albans, and a r. station. The parish includes two hamlets, and comprises 5,033 acres. Real property, £9,848. Pop., 1,960. Houses, 395. The manor was given, by Edward the Confessor, to Westminster Abbey. Mackrey-End, Delaport, and Lamer are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £730.* Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is cruciform, with central tower and spire, and was restored in 1866. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, handsome national schools of 1862, and charities £195. Abbot Bostock, who died in 1440, was a native.

Wheathampstead through time

Wheathampstead is now part of St Albans district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Albans has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wheathampstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wheathampstead, in St Albans and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4400

Date accessed: 27th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wheathampstead ".