Place:


Preston  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preston like this:

PRESTON, a hamlet in Hitchin parish, Herts; 3 miles S of Hitchin. It has a post-office under Hitchin. Acres, 1, 142-Real property, £1, 129. Pop., 321. Preston Castle, or Shandy Hall, was the residence of Sterne's" Uncle Toby, " but has been completely demolished. Temple-Dinsley belonged to the Knights Templars. Aneat schoolhouse was recently erected, and is used as a chapel of ease.

Preston through time

Preston is now part of North Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Preston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preston in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4383

Date accessed: 21st May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Preston ".