Place:


Northaw  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Northaw like this:

NORTHAW, or Northall, a village and a parish in Hatfield district, Herts. The village stands on a hill adjacent to the boundary with Middlesex, 2¼ miles E by N of Potters-Bar r. station, and 4½ N E by N of Barnet; is a neat place; and has a post-office under Barnet. The parish contains also the hamlet of Cuffley. ...


Acres, 3, 180. Real property, £5, 104. Pop., 551. Houses, 114. The property is divided among a few. The manor is held by the trustees of the late Rev. J. A. Trenchard. The Hook is the seat of N. B. Acworth, Esq.; Northaw Place, of E. L. Morgan, Esq.; the Grove, ofW. Rowden, Esq.; Nyn Lodge, ofW. Faber, Esq.; and Upper Barvin, of J. T. Pascoe, Esq. A mineral spring is at Cuffley; and another mineral spring was on Northaw Common, now enclosed, but has been choked up. The living is a donative in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £140.* Patrons, the Trustees of the late Rev. J. A. Trenchard. The church is cruciform, of pointed architecture, in good condition; and has an embattled tower rebuilt in 1810, a handsome W porch, and a painted chancel-window. There are national schools, built in 1850, and charities £73.

Northaw through time

Northaw is now part of Welwyn Hatfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Welwyn Hatfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Northaw itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Northaw, in Welwyn Hatfield and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4381

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Northaw ".