Place:


Benington  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Benington like this:

BENNINGTON, a village and a parish in the district and county of Hertford. The village stands near the river Beane, and near a branch Roman way, 5 miles ESE of Stevenage, and 6 from Stevenage r. station. It has a post office under Stevenage; and was formerly a market-town; and has still a fair on 10 July. ...


The parish comprises 2,908 acres. Real property, £4,784. Pop., 637. Houses, 133. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Benstedes, the Cæsars, and the Earl of Essex; and belongs now to the Proctors. An ancient palace of the kings of Mercia stood here; and either that, or a castle which succeeded it, is now indicated by an intrenched eminence. Bennington Place, to the east, is a fine seat. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £635.* Patron, the Rev. J. E. Pryor. The church contains some ancient monuments, and is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Benington through time

Benington is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Benington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Benington in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4357

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Benington ".