Place:


Wembury  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wembury like this:

WEMBURY, a parish, with a village, in Plympton-St, Mary district, Devon; on the coast, at the mouth of the river Yealm, 6 miles SE of Plymouth r. station. Post town, Plymouth. Acres, 3,205; of which 140 are water. Real property, £4,692. Pop., 561. Houses, 99. W. manor belonged formerly to Plympton priory, and belongs now E. ...


R. P. Bastard, Esq. Langdon manor, with L. Court, belongs to V. P. Calmady, Esq. South W. House, Hollowcombe House, Bovi Sand House, and Train Barton are chief residences. The scenery of the coast is romantic and wild. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £83. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is later English. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an alms-house with £30 a year, and charities £33.

Wembury through time

Wembury is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wembury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wembury, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4252

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wembury ".