Place:


Alsager  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alsager like this:

ALSAGER, a chapelry in Barthomley parish, Cheshire; near the river Wenlock, the Grand Trunk canal, and the North Stafford railway, 4¼ miles SSE of Sandbach. It has a station on the railway, about a mile distant; and its Post Town is Lawton, under Stoke-on-Trent. Acres, 2,184. Real property, £4,202. Pop., 703. Houses, 139. Part of the land was a common, recently enclosed. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £100. Patrons, the proprietors of the manor. There is a Wesleyan chapel of 1869. Charities, £41.

Alsager through time

Alsager is now part of Congleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Congleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alsager itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alsager, in Congleton and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/423

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alsager ".