Place:


Marldon  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marldon like this:

MARLDON, a parish in Totnes district, Devon; near Torbay, 2½ miles W of Torquay r. station, and 5 ENE of Totnes. It contains the hamlets of Compton and W esterland; and its Post town is Totnes. Acres, 2,327. Real property, £4,326. Pop., 554. Houses, 117. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged, in the time of Edward the Confessor, to Osolf; was held, at Domesday, by Stephen, and then bore the name of Contime; passed, in the time of Henry II., to Maurice de Pole, ancestor of Sir William Pole, the antiquary; took from the Poles the name of Compton-Pole; passed from them to the Comptons; belonged, in the time of Edward II., to the family of Sir Hnmphrey Gilbert, the navig.ator; went from them to the family of Bishop; passed, about 1830, to the Garratts; and belong.s now to the Rev. J. Bewes. The manorial mansion is called Compton Castle; has a very ancient gateway, and a N embattled tower; and includes a chapel, with beautiful windows. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Paignton, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is old but good; the chancel was recently restored; and the church contains monuments of the De Poles, the Bishops, and others. There is a recently erected national school.

Marldon through time

Marldon is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marldon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marldon, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4206

Date accessed: 27th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marldon ".