Place:


Escomb  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Escomb like this:

ESCOMB, a parochial chapelry in Auckland district, Durham; on the river Wear, and on the Weardale railway, 1½ mile WNW of Bishop-Auckland. Post town, Bishop-Auckland, under Darlington. Acres, 840. Real property, £15, 360; of which £11, 250 are in mines, and £70 on the railway. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1, 293; in 1861, 3, 743. Houses, 649. The property is subdivided. The chief employment is coal-mining. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church was at one time prebendal to Auckland college; was annexed, in 1501, to Durham deanery; and is in tolerable condition. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.

Escomb through time

Escomb is now part of Wear Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wear Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Escomb itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Escomb, in Wear Valley and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4198

Date accessed: 11th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Escomb ".