Place:


Wessington  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wessington like this:

WESSINGTON, a township-chapelry in Crich parish, Derby; 1½ mile NW of Wingfield r. station, and 3½ NW by W of Alfreton. Post town, Alfreton. Acres, 958. Pop., 519. Houses, 114. Framework-knitting is carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £126.* Patron, the Vicar of Crich. The church was built in 1858. There are two Methodist chapels, and charities £5.

Wessington through time

Wessington is now part of North East Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North East Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wessington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wessington in North East Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4154

Date accessed: 27th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wessington ".