Place:


South Normanton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Normanton like this:

NORMANTON (South), a village and a parish in the district of Mansfield and county of Derby. The village stands 1½ mile W of the boundary with Notts, and 1½ E N E of Alfreton r. station; and has a post-office under Alfreton. The parish comprises 1, 730 acres. Real property, £5, 699; of which £1, 567 are in mines. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1, 340; in 1861, 1,805. Houses, 324. The increase of pop. arose partly from extension of the coal trade, and partly from the temporary presence of railway labourers. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the Revells; and, with Carnfield Hall, belongs now to T. Rad ford, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £375.* Patron, the Rev. J. Bird. The church is of the 14th century, large and good; and has a pinnacled tower and an old font. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £7.

South Normanton through time

South Normanton is now part of Bolsover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bolsover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Normanton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Normanton, in Bolsover and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4130

Date accessed: 28th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Normanton ".