Place:


Little Stanmore  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Stanmore like this:

STANMORE (Little), a parish, with part of Elstree village, in Hendon district, Middlesex; 1¼ mile NNW of Edgware r. station. Post town, Edgware, under London NW. Acres, 1,552. Real property, £5,150. Pop., 891. Houses, 153. The property is divided between two. A quondam palace of the Duke of Chandos, erected at a cost of £250,000, and noticed in our article Canons, was here. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £405.* Patron, the Rev. M. Spink. The church was the chapel of the quondam palace; and had Handel for the conductor of its music. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities

Little Stanmore through time

Little Stanmore is now part of Harrow district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrow has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Stanmore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Stanmore, in Harrow and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4107

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Stanmore ".