Place:


Shepperton  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shepperton like this:

SHEPPERTON, a village and a parish in Staines district, Middlesex. The village stands on the river Thames, at the terminus of the Thames Valley railway, 2 miles E of Chertsey; was known, at Domesday, as Scepertone; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office under Chertsey. ...


The parish contains also the hamlet of Lower Halliford, and comprises 1,541 acres. Real property, £6,132. Pop., 849. Houses, 188. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to Westminster abbey; and passed to the Beauchamps and others. There are several fine villas. An oak canoe, 12 feet long, was found in 1812, near the river, 7 feet below the surface. The living is a rectory in the diocese of London. Value, £590.* Patron, the Rev. J.Govett. The church dates from 1310, is cruciform, and has a tower of about 1760. There are a mission chapel of 1867, and a national school. Grocyn, the friend of Erasmus, was rector.

Shepperton through time

Shepperton is now part of Spelthorne district. Click here for graphs and data of how Spelthorne has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shepperton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shepperton, in Spelthorne and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4106

Date accessed: 26th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shepperton ".