Place:


Whitchurch  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitchurch like this:

WHITCHURCH, a parish, with a village, in the district of Monmouth and county of Hereford; on the river Wye, 5 miles NE of Monmouth r. station. It has a post-office‡ under Monmouth. Acres, 1,956. Real property, £4,525. Pop., 857. Houses, 201. The property is much subdivided. The scenery is very fine. ...


Limestone is quarried, and its hæmatite veins of iron-stone are of much value. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £290.* Patron, W. Dry, Esq. The church is early English. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, a small lunatic asylum, and charities £15.

Whitchurch through time

Whitchurch is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitchurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitchurch in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4100

Date accessed: 19th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whitchurch".