Place:


Crowhurst  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crowhurst like this:

CROWHURST, a parish in Godstone district, Surrey; on Broad-Mead water and the Southeastern railway, 2½ miles ESE of Godstone r. station, and 9½ E by S of Reigate. Post town, Godstone, under Red Hill. Acres, 2, 081. Real property, £1, 707. Pop., 211. Houses, 40. The manor belonged, from an early period till the 18th century, to the Gaynesfords; and the manor-house, called Crowhurst Place, now a farm-house, was a stately mansion of the time of Henry VII. ...


Another farm-house was the seat of the Angell family, a mansion of the time of Henry VIII. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £65. Patron, the Earl of Cottenham. The church has parts from transition Norman to perpendicular English; and contains brasses of the Gaynesfords. A hollow yew tree in the churchyard measures 30¾ feet in girth at five feet from the ground; and is the largest in the county.

Crowhurst through time

Crowhurst is now part of Tandridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tandridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crowhurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crowhurst, in Tandridge and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4085

Date accessed: 09th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Crowhurst ".