Place:


Foulsham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Foulsham like this:

FOULSHAM, a village and a parish in Aylsham district, Norfolk. The village stands on an affluent of the river Wensum, 4½ miles NE of Elmham r. station, and 18 NW of Norwich; was almost totally destroyed by fire in 1770; was afterwards rebuilt on a better plan, and with cheerful aspect; was once a market-town, and has still a fair on the first Tuesday of May; has also a post office‡ under Thetford, a bridge, a church, a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £89; and is a seat of petty sessions. ...


The bridge was built in 1813. The church was rebuilt at the rebuilding of the village, and has a fine tower. The churchyard contains an ancient altar-tomb, bearing a curious broken inscription in Saxon characters. The parish comprises 3, 226 acres. Real property, £7, 112. Pop., 1, 022. Houses, 241. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £602. Patron, Lord Hastings.

Foulsham through time

Foulsham is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Foulsham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Foulsham, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3957

Date accessed: 07th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Foulsham ".