Place:


Rockland St Mary  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rockland St Mary like this:

ROCKLAND-ST. MARY, a village and a parish in Henstead district, Norfolk. The village stands near "abroad" of the river Yare, 3 miles W S W of Buckenham r. station, and 6 S E by E of Norwich; is a scattered place; and has a post-office, of the name of Rockland, under Norwich, and an inn. The parish comprises 1, 360 acres. ...


Real property, £2, 722. Pop., 476. Houses, 114. The property is chiefly divided between two; and thechief manor belongs to SirH. Rich. There are market-gardens, two brickfields, and an iron-foundry. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £412.* Patron, Queen's College, Cambridge. The church has a thatched roof and a small tower; and thechurchyard contains ivy-clad ruins of another church, called R., St. Margaret, or Little R. There are a national school, and charities £11.

Rockland St Mary through time

Rockland St Mary is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rockland St Mary itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rockland St Mary in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3940

Date accessed: 28th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rockland St Mary ".