Place:


Pentney  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pentney like this:

PENTNEY, a village and a parish in Freebridge-Lynn district, Norfolk. The village stands near the river Nar, 1 mile W of Narborough r. station, and 7 N W by W of Swaffham; and has a post-office under Swaffham. The parish comprises 2, 330 acres. Real property, £2, 908. Pop., 642. Houses, 131. ...


The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to Miss Thackeray. An Augustinian priory was founded on what is called the Isle of Eva, in the time of Henry II., by Robert de Vaux; and is now represented by a gateway. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £75.* Patrons, the Executors of the Rev. R. Hankinson. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. There arefour dissenting places of worship, and charities £75.

Pentney through time

Pentney is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pentney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pentney in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3938

Date accessed: 22nd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pentney ".