Place:


Overstrand  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Overstrand like this:

OVERSTRAND, a parish in Erpingham district, Norfolk; on the coast, 2 miles E S E of Cromer, and 8 N N W of North Walsham r. station. Post-town, Cromer, under Norwich. Acres, 598; of which 160 are water. Real property, £687. Pop., 251. Houses, 62. The property is divided among a few. Part of the parish is sometimes called Beck-Hythe; and the whole is in themanor of Gimingham-Lancaster, belonging to Lord Suffield. ...


Cliffs are on the coast, and a range of heights is in the S. There is a fishing station. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £75.* Patron, J. H. Gurney, Esq. The ancient church was washed away in the time of Richard II.; and the present one was then built, is now used in only part of the nave, and is in the other parts a ruin. There is an endowed school.

Overstrand through time

Overstrand is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Overstrand itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Overstrand in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3937

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Overstrand ".