Place:


St Breward  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Breward like this:

BREWARD (St.), or Simonward, a parish in Camelford district, Cornwall; on the river Lank, under Brown Willey mountain, 7 miles N by E of Bodmin, and 8½ N by W of Bodmin Road r. station. Post Town, St. Tudy, under Bodmin. Acres, 9,237. Real property, £2,860. Pop., 705. Houses, 143. ...


The property is subdivided. The surface is prevailingly Moorish, upland, and rugged; but encloses fine scenes, and commands fine prospects. Brown Willey and Rough Tor mountains figure conspicuously in the landscape. Hanter-Gantick, 1 mile S of the church-town, is a deep romantic valley, sometimes called the Cornish Valley of rocks. Granite is quarried; and slate is found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is partly Norman, and in fair condition.

St Breward through time

St Breward is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Breward itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Breward in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3878

Date accessed: 31st March 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Breward ".