Place:


Chapel Hill  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chapel Hill like this:

CHAPEL-HILL, a parish in Chepstow district, Monmouth; on the river Wye, 4½ miles N of Chepstow r. station. It contains Tintern Abbey; which has a post office under Chepstow. Acres, 820. Real property, £1,503. Pop., 497. Houses, 101. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £60. Patron, the Duke of Beaufort. The church was reported in 1859 as dilapidated. Charities, £63. See Tintern Abbey.

Chapel Hill through time

Chapel Hill is now part of Monmouthshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Monmouthshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chapel Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chapel Hill in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3843

Date accessed: 20th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chapel Hill ".