Place:


Wilburton  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wilburton like this:

WILBURTON, a parish, with a r. station, in Ely district, Cambridge; on the Ely, Haddenham, and Sutton railway, 5¼ miles SW of Ely. Post town, Ely. Acres, 2,233. Real property, £6,763. Pop., 560. Houses, 124. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with New Manor House, belongs to the representatives of the late Lady Pell. ...


The parsonage was once the chief residence of the archdeacons of Ely; and gave entertainment, in the time of Archdeacon Alcock, to Henry VII. and to his son, afterwards Henry VIII. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £229. Patron, the Archdeacon of Ely. The church is ancient. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £31.

Wilburton through time

Wilburton is now part of East Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wilburton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wilburton in East Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3832

Date accessed: 09th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wilburton ".