Place:


Croydon  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Croydon like this:

CROYDON-CUM-CLAPTON, a parish in Caxton district, Cambridge; 3¾ miles W by N of Shepreth r. station, and 6 S of Caxton. Post town, Arrington, under Royston. Acres, 2, 711. Rated property, £2, 080. Pop., 508. Houses, 102. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory and a vicarage-Clapton a rectory, Croydon a vicarage-in the diocese of Ely. Value, £449.* Patron, J. F. Gape, Esq. The church is good; and there is a national school.

Croydon through time

Croydon is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Croydon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Croydon in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3813

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Croydon ".