Place:


Landwade  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Landwade like this:

LANDWADE, a parish in Newmarket district, Cambridge; 4 miles N by W of Newmarket r. station. Post-town, Newmarket. Acres, 120. Real property, £192. Pop., 36. Houses, 5. The manor belonged, in the time of Edward III., to the Hastings family; and passed to the Cottons. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Exning, in the diocese of Ely. The church is ancient; consists of nave, transepts, and chancel, with a low tower; and contains some very old monuments of the Cottons; but has ceased to be used.

Landwade through time

Landwade is now part of Forest Heath district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest Heath has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Landwade itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Landwade, in Forest Heath and Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3811

Date accessed: 15th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Landwade ".