Place:


Girton  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Girton like this:

GIRTON, a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire; adjacent to the Cambridge and Huntingdon railway, between Histon and Oakington station, 3½ miles NNE of Cambridge. Post town, Histon, under Cambridge. Acres, 1, 674. Real property, £3, 137. Pop., 469. Houses, 95. The property is much subdivided. ...


The manor belongs to Sir St. Vincent Cotton, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £420.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church has a tower; contains two brasses of the 15th century; and was restored in 1858. There is an endowed school, built in 1845.

Girton through time

Girton is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Girton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Girton in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3801

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Girton ".