Place:


Hanslope  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hanslope like this:

HANSLOPE, a village and a parish in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks. The village stands near the Northwestern railway and the boundary with Northampton, 4½ miles N by W of Wolverton r. station, and 4½ N by E of Stony-Stratford; was once a market town; and has a post office‡ under Stony-Stratford, and a cattle fair on Holy Thursday. ...


The parish comprises 5, 290 acres. Real property, £8, 966. Pop. in 1851, 1, 604; in 1861, 1, 792. Houses, 352. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to the Beauchamps; and belongs now to W. Watts, Esq. Lace making is extensively carried on. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Castlethorpe, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £152. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is early English; and has a pinnacled tower, with octagonal spire, 190 feet high, rebuilt in 1804. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £179.

Hanslope through time

Hanslope is now part of Milton Keynes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Milton Keynes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hanslope itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hanslope, in Milton Keynes and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3679

Date accessed: 05th July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hanslope ".