Twyford  Berkshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Twyford like this:

TWYFORD, a chapelry, with a village, in Hurst parish, Berks; on the Great Western railway, at the junction of the branch to Henley, 5 miles ENE of Reading. It has a head post-office,‡ a r. station with telegraph, two hotels, a church of 1847, a U. Free Methodist chapel of 1853, an endowed school of 1721, and six alms houses. The statistics are not separately returned, and the living is annexed to Hurst.

Twyford through time

Twyford is now part of Wokingham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wokingham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Twyford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Twyford, in Wokingham and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 22nd April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Twyford".