Place:


High Legh  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described High Legh like this:

LEGH (HIGH), a village and a township-chapely in Rostherne parish, Cheshire. The village stands 3¼ miles S of Heatley and Warburton r. station, and 5 N W of Knutsford; is a scattered place; and has a post office under Knutsford. The chapelry comprises 4,257 acres. Real property, £8,359. ...


Pop., 1,004. Houses, 175. The property is divided among three. High Legh Hall is the seat of GeorgeLegh, Esq.; and West Hall is the seat of Major Eggerton Leigh. Much attention is given to the dairy. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £250. Patron, E. Leigh, Esq The church was built in 1815; superseded a previous edifice of 1404; and is a neat stone structure. A domestic chapel, erected in 1581, stands on the grounds of High Legh Hall. There are a national school, and charities £5.

High Legh through time

High Legh is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about High Legh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of High Legh, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3628

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " High Legh ".