Place:


Church Lawton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Church Lawton like this:

CHURCH-LAWTON, a parish in Congleton district, Cheshire; on the Trent and Mersey canal, adjacent to the Macclesfield and Colwich railway, 1½ mile NNW of Kidsgrove Junction r. station, and 5 SSW of Congleton. Post town, Lawton, under Stoke-upon-Trent. Acres, 1, 452. Real property, £3, 108. Pop., 724. Houses, 131. The property is subdivided. There are salt-works, collieries, and quarries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £360.* Patron,B. Lawton, Esq. The church is very good; and there are a Methodist chapel and a handsome school.

Church Lawton through time

Church Lawton is now part of Congleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Congleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Church Lawton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Church Lawton, in Congleton and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3625

Date accessed: 26th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Church Lawton ".