Place:


Stopsley  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stopsley like this:

STOPSLEY, a chapelry in Luton parish, Beds; 1¾ mile NNE of Luton r. station. It was constituted in 1861; and it has a post-office under Luton. Real property, £6,287. Pop., 842. Houses, 165. The manor belongs to J. S. Leigh, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ely. Value, £203. Patron, Col. Sowerby. The church was built in 1861, and is in the early English style. There are a Methodist chapel and national schools.

Stopsley through time

Stopsley is now part of Luton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Luton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stopsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stopsley, in Luton and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3575

Date accessed: 17th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stopsley ".