Place:


Newton by Castle Acre  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton By Castle Acre like this:

NEWTON-BY-CASTLEACRE, a parish in Swaffham district, Norfolk; on the river Nar, adjacent to the Peddar way, 2½ miles N W of Dunham r. station, and 4¼ N by E of Swaffham. Post-town, Brandon. Acres, 1,058. Real property, £1, 693. Pop., 84. Houses, 15. The property belongs to A. Fountaine, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £103. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is Saxon orearly Norman; was originally cruciform, but now wants the transepts; and has a low tower.

Newton by Castle Acre through time

Newton By Castle Acre is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton By Castle Acre itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton by Castle Acre, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3532

Date accessed: 22nd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton By Castle Acre ".