Place:


Morcott  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Morcott like this:

MORCOTT, a village and a parish in Uppingham district, Rutland. The village stands on an affluent of the river Chater, and on the Rugby and Stamford railway, 2 miles SW of Luffenham r. station, and 4 E by N of Uppingham; and has a post office under Uppingham. The railway passes under part of it. ...


The parish comprises 1,343 acres. Real property, £3,185. Pop. in 1851,667; in 1861,494. Houses, 118. The decrease of pop. was caused by the removal of labourers employed on the railway. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Morcott Hall, belongs to S. R. Fydell, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value. £440.* Patron, Mrs. Thorold. The church is Norman, in good condition; has a tower, with short lead-covered spire; and contains an old monument of W. de Overton. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and an endowed hospital for six poor unmarried persons, each of whom receives £36 a year.

Morcott through time

Morcott is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Morcott itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morcott in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3444

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Morcott ".