Place:


Houghton le Side  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Houghton le Side like this:

HOUGHTON-LE-SIDE, a township in Gainford parish, Durham; on Whinstone dyke, 6 miles NW of Darlington. Acres, 1, 060. Real property, £1, 223; of which £64 are in quarries. Pop., 133. Houses, 28. The township is a meet for the Raby hounds; and it has a national school.

Houghton le Side through time

Houghton le Side is now part of Darlington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Darlington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Houghton le Side itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Houghton le Side, in Darlington and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3437

Date accessed: 17th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Houghton le Side ".