Place:


Markyate  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Markyate like this:

MARKET-STREET, or MARKGATE-STREET, a chapelry in Caddington, Studham, and Flamstead parishes, Herts; at the boundary with Beds, 2½ miles SW of Luton r. station. It has a post office, † of the name of Markgate-Street, under Dunstable. Acres and pop. not separately returned. Real property, £1,214. ...


A Benedictine nunnery was founded here, in 1145, by Geoffrey, abbot of St. Albans; was given, at the dissolution, to G. Ferrers; and has bequeathed to its site the name of Markgate Cell. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ely. Value, £227.* Patron, D. G. Ady, Esq. There is a grammar school, with £138 a year from endowment.

Markyate through time

Markyate is now part of Dacorum district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dacorum has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Markyate itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Markyate, in Dacorum and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3398

Date accessed: 21st April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Markyate".