Place:


Stotfold  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stotfold like this:

STOTFOLD, a parish, with a large village, in Biggleswade district, Beds; 2¼ miles NW by W of Baldock r. station. It has a post-office under Baldock. Acres, 2,323. Real property, £6,100. Pop. in 1851, 1,395; in 1861, 2,071,-of whom 484 were in the Beds, Herts, and Hunts lunatic asylum. ...


Houses, 324. The property is subdivided. The lunatic asylum is a recent, extensive and ornate edifice; and stands conspicuously on high ground. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £242.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is good. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed boys' school, a national school, seven alms houses, and some other charities.

Stotfold through time

Stotfold is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stotfold itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stotfold in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3355

Date accessed: 11th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stotfold ".