Place:


Shenley  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shenley like this:

SHENLEY, a parish, with a village and three hamlets, in the district of Barnet and county of Hertford; 4¼ miles W of Potters-Bar r. station, and 5 NW of Barnet. It has a post-office under Barnet. Acres, 4,056. Real property, £9,367. Pop., 1,304. Houses, 281. The property is much subdivided. ...


The manor, with Porters House, belongs to T. B. Myers, Esq. S. House, S. Lodge, Colney House, the Grange, High Cannons, Well-end Lodge, and Rowley-Green are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £1,100.* Patrons, the Newcome family. The church is old but good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, three national schools, and charities £18. Falle, the historian of Jersey, was rector.

Shenley through time

Shenley is now part of Hertsmere district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hertsmere has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shenley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shenley, in Hertsmere and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3216

Date accessed: 27th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shenley ".