Place:


Necton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Necton like this:

NECTON, a village and a parish in Swaffham district, Norfolk. The village stands 2½ miles S by E of Dunham r. station, and 3½ E by N of Swaffham; was formerly called Neighton; and has a post-office under Thetford. The parish comprises 3, 748 acres. Real property, £6, 520. Pop., 948. ...


Houses, 216. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Necton Hall, belongs to Lieut.-Col. W. Mason. The living is a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £703.* Patron, the Rev. W. H. Walker. The church is early English; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower recently erected at a cost of about £1, 500; has an exquisitely worked and ornamental roof; and contains brasses and other monuments. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £100 a year, a handsome school-house built in 1865, a village library and reading-room, and church charities £100.

Necton through time

Necton is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Necton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Necton, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3199

Date accessed: 21st September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Necton ".