Place:


Bradford  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bradford like this:

BRADFORD, a parish in Holsworthy district, Devon; on the river Torridge, 5½ miles NE of Holsworthy, and 13 S by W of Bideford r. station. Post Town, Black Torrington, under Highampton, North Devon. Acres, 3,468. Real property, £2,130. Pop., 444. Houses, 91 The property is chiefly divided among four. ...


Dunsland has a fine old baronial mansion; belonged, at the Conquest, to Walter de Cadiho; passed to the Arscotts and the Bickfords; and belongs now to the Cohams. Hengiscott has traces of a fortified camp, supposed to have been formed by the famous Hengist. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £308.* Patrons, the Rectors of East Down, Bratton-Fleming, and Goodleigh. The church is cruciform, and has a tower and some monuments; but is, or recently was, in very bad condition. Charities, £14.

Bradford through time

Bradford is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bradford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bradford, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3180

Date accessed: 17th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bradford ".