Place:


Portswood  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Portswood like this:

PORTSWOOD, a tything and a chapelry in South Stoneham parish, Hants. The tything lies on the South-western railway and on the Southampton and Netley railway, within Southampton borough, 2 miles N N E of Southampton town; and has a post-office under Southampton, and a station with telegraph on the S and Netley railway . ...


Real property, £12, 554. Pop. in 1851, 1, 207; in 1861, 3, 546. Houses, 678. The increase of pop. arose from connexion with Southampton, and from the sale of a large landed estate, in lots, for building purposes. The chapelry is less extensive than the tything, was constituted in 1848, and was divided into two in 1867. Pop. in 1861, 2, 336. Houses, 438. The livings are p.curacies in the diocese of Winchester. Values, £270, * and £170. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The firstchurch was built in 1847, at a cost of £4,000, and enlarged in 1856, at a cost of £1,000; and has a tower and spire. The second church was built in 1868, at a cost of More than £5,000. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Bible Christians, and a national school.

Portswood through time

Portswood is now part of Southampton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Southampton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Portswood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Portswood, in Southampton and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3162

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Portswood ".